- ▢ 2 cups rolled oats
- ▢ 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ▢ 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 1 cup diced apples, about 1 medium apple
- ▢ 1/2 cup applesauce
- ▢ 1/2 cup milk OR almond milk, at room temperature
- ▢ 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ▢ ¼ cup maple syrup
- ▢ 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ▢ ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly grease (or spray with nonstick cooking spray) an 8- by 8-inch glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt. Mix in diced apples, applesauce, milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir in coconut oil until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until set and light golden brown on top. Allow to cool in the baking dish for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with optional garnishes, such as warm milk drizzled over the top and additional chopped walnuts.
- Your milk and eggs should be at room temperature because if they’re cold, they’ll cause the coconut oil to resolidify. To quickly warm everything up, I usually just put the whole eggs in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes and zap the milk in the microwave for 20 or so seconds.
- Reheat oatmeal by placing an individual serving on a plate, drizzling with a little milk of your choice, and then heating in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 130mg | Potassium: 298mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2.1mg